If your server is headless and/or doesn’t contain a CD/DVD optical drive, it can be a bit tricky to install an application like QuickBooks or Quicken directly onto it. Here are some steps to help guide you through the process:
1. Select “Dashboard” from the Launchpad application and sign in to open the server Dashboard application.
2. Click on the “Server Folder’s and Hard Drives” icon in the navigation pane.
3. On the “Server Folders” tab, click on the “Add a folder” task in the Tasks pane.
4. Use the Add a Folder wizard that opens to create a new shared folder on your server named “Intuit Setup Files” and grant everyone full access to the folder.
5. Insert the QuickBooks/Quicken installation CD/DVD and open up an Explorer window so that you can view the contents of the CD/DVD.
6. Select “Shared Folders” from the Launchpad application and open the “Intuit Setup Files” shared folder that you just created in step #4 above.
7. Copy (drag-n-drop) ALL of the files and folders from your QuickBooks/Quicken installation CD/DVD into the “Intuit Setup Files” shared folder.
NOTE: There may be a lot of files that need to be copied over and so this may take a while.
8. Start a Remote Desktop Connection to your server as the Administrator (or as any user with administrator privileges if using Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials).
9. From the Administrator’s desktop double-click on the “Dashboard” icon to open the server Dashboard application on the server.
NOTE: The server Dashboard application MUST be opened from the Administrator’s desktop (and NOT from the Launchpad of one of the computers on the network) in order to successfully install QuickBooks/Quicken directly ON THE SERVER!
10. Click on the “Server Folder’s and Hard Drives” icon in the navigation pane.
11. On the “Server Folders” tab, select/highlight the “Intuit Setup Files” folder and then click on the “Open the folder” task in the Tasks pane.
12. Locate and run the QuickBooks/Quicken setup program (i.e. “install.exe“, “setup.exe”, etc.) in order to install QuickBooks/Quicken directly on your server.
NOTE #1: Any 2009 or later Windows-based version/edition of QuickBooks may be used. Any Windows-based version/edition of Quicken may be used.
NOTE #2: While WHS QuickBooks/WHS Quicken should be able to locate QuickBooks/Quicken anywhere on the server, it is strongly recommended that you install it to its default/suggested location on the server’s C drive.
NOTE #3: QuickBooks 2011 (and later) includes a feature that keeps the main QuickBooks application file (QBW32.EXE) continuously running in the background in an attempt to decrease the startup time of the application. This functionality is NOT compatible with WHS QuickBooks. Therefore, if you are using QuickBooks 2011 (or later), please be sure to disable the feature in QuickBooks Preferences as follows:
a) Open QuickBooks and open your company file.
b) Choose Edit -> Preferences.
c) Choose the “General” icon in the list on the left.
d) Choose the “My Preferences” tab at the top.
e) Click to clear the “Keep QuickBooks running for quick startups” checkbox.
f) Click OK.
NOTE #4: After the QuickBooks/Quicken installation has completed successfully, you can return back to the server Dashboard application and click on the “Delete the folder” task if you no longer need/want the setup files on your server.
That’s it! You now have a copy of QuickBooks/Quicken installed directly on your server and you are ready to install and use WHS RemoteApp, WHS QuickBooks, and/or WHS Quicken.